Robin Padilla received mixed reactions from netizens after performing a COVID-19 swab test on himself.
On Instagram, the actor shared a video of him putting a swab in his nostril as an attempt to do the test himself.
His caption explained that their nurse has not arrived yet so they decided to perform the test on their own.
“Basta isaksak mo ang swab stick hanggang sa dulo at makiliti mo ang utak mo, at kapag naluha kana tsaka mo iikot ng 5 hanggang 8 segundo yun na raw yun,” he wrote.
While Robin’s post received laughter on Instagram, majority asked if his “self-swab” is even allowed.
On Twitter, netizens also reacted on his controversial social media post.
“Do yourself a favor and stop sticking things up your nose like Robin Padilla. Kids who do that usually end up in the emergency room,” a Twitter user wrote.
Self-testing kits, also called as at-home tests, are already authorized and made available over-the-counter in other countries like the US. However, self-tests have not been approved yet in the Philippines.
In a past CNN Philippines report, testing czar Vince Dizon said the use of self-swabbing kits cannot guarantee accuracy since it has not been advised by medical experts here.
“Hindi ina-advise ng ating mga eksperto itong mga self-swabbing kits. Dahil unang-una, hindi tayo sigurado sa accuracy ng mga tests na ito, hindi pa ito nava-validate ng ating Food and Drug Administration at regulatory bodies gaya ng RITM (Research Institute for Tropical Medicine),” Dizon said.
The Department of Health reported back in February of last year that self-administered test kits have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of the Philippines.
- ‘Working Boys 2: Choose Your Papa’ now streaming on Viva One
- Nadine Lustre’s boyfriend Christophe Bariou opens up about battle with cancer
- TVJ, other Dabarkads find new home in TV5
- Deanna Wong, Ivy Lacsina celebrate first anniversary
- ‘Parang lahat tayo nakapatay ang cellphone’: Paolo, Betong and Buboy joke about first day hosting Eat Bulaga
- ‘We decided on forever’: Thai stars Urassaya Sperbund, Nadech Kugimiya get engaged