The City of Taguig has issued its official response to a viral complaint on Facebook accusing its emergency responders of failing to provide timely and adequate assistance during a medical emergency.
Actor and model Basty Askri made strong accusations in his Facebook post that gained widespread attention after he recounted his experience while his father was reportedly suffering a medical emergency.
“Halos 10 minutes na akong tumatawag sa 911 pero wala pa ring sumasagot,” Askri wrote, describing his attempts to seek help.
He claimed that when his call was eventually answered, he was repeatedly told to “wait,” while he could allegedly hear laughter and conversation in the background.
“Tapos inatake na ang tatay ko,” he said.
According to Askri, he personally performed CPR on his father while waiting for an ambulance to arrive.
“Ako mismo ang nag-CPR sa kanya. Ang tagal kong nag-CPR habang hinihintay namin ang ambulansya. At nung dumating na ang ambulansya, walang AED [Automated External Defibrillator]. Walang sapat na gamit. Walang pumalit sa akin sa pag-CPR,” he said.
Askri said he shared his experience not simply out of anger but to call attention to what he described as problems within the country’s emergency response system.
His Facebook post has garnered over 1 million reactions and more than 300,000 shares on Facebook.
A day later, he apologized for his outburst, explaining that his words were fueled by fear and anger over the situation involving his father.
“I’m sincerely sorry for the inappropriate words I used regarding 911, and I’m also sorry for the confusion regarding the barangay ambulance,” Askri wrote.
“We were scared, we were grieving, and we were trying to save my father’s life. Nag-react po ako dahil sa takot at galit, pero inaamin ko rin po kapag may kailangan akong itama,” he added, while also thanking those who provided them with help.
On the same day, hours after Askri’s apology, the Taguig City government released a statement through its official Facebook page “I Love Taguig” to address the incident and express its condolences to the bereaved family.
The city said its initial account was based on records from the offices involved in the emergency response.
According to the Taguig government, the Taguig Command Center received a call from Unified 911 at 12:17 p.m. on Aug. 15 requesting ambulance assistance in Maharlika Village due to a reported possible heart attack.
The city clarified that Unified 911 is a national emergency hotline under the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG), separate from Taguig’s own direct emergency hotlines.
The city said the address relayed by 911 to the Taguig Command Center consisted only of a lot and block number, without a street address or landmark.
“Paulit-ulit na sinubukan ng Taguig Command Center na makuha mula sa 911 ang kumpletong address ng pasyente,” the statement read, adding that the necessary details to determine the patient’s exact location were not provided.
The command center also reportedly attempted to contact the caller using the number provided by 911, but said the calls went unanswered.
Taguig said it then coordinated with Barangay Maharlika and Barangay Upper Bicutan to seek immediate assistance.
Meanwhile, relatives of the patient reportedly went to the Maharlika Barangay Hall to ask for help. The barangay subsequently dispatched its Patient Transport Vehicle (PTV), which brought the patient to Taguig-Pateros District Hospital.
According to the city, the patient arrived at the hospital at 12:43 p.m. and was immediately given medical intervention and resuscitative measures. However, the patient was declared dead at 1:24 p.m.
Taguig also said an ambulance from Upper Bicutan went to the Maharlika Barangay Hall to inquire about the patient because responders had still been unable to obtain complete information about his location.
Upon arrival, responders learned that the patient had already been transported to Taguig-Pateros District Hospital by the Maharlika PTV.
The city said its concerned offices are prepared to cooperate and provide the necessary information should an official investigation into the incident be conducted.
“Handa ang mga kinauukulang tanggapan ng Taguig na makipagtulungan at magbigay ng kinakailangang impormasyon sa anumang opisyal na imbestigasyon ukol sa usaping ito,” it stated.
For now, the LGU appealed for the public to give the bereaved family time and space to mourn the loss of their loved one, while also expressing its condolences to the family.
