Veteran actor Christopher de Leon has announced that he tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
The 63-year-old Love Thy Woman star is the first Filipino actor known to be dealing with the coronavirus.
In a statement he issued Tuesday evening, he said he has no idea where and how he contracted the virus. He, nevertheless, asked those who have come in contact with him these past few days to observe for symptoms and follow the procedures set by the Department of Health (DOH).
De Leon added that his wife, actress Sandy Andolong, and a daughter are undergoing home quarantine.
Here is his full statement which he shared on his Instagram account:
“To all my family and friends, especially in the entertainment business:
“Today, our doctor confirmed that I have COVID-19. I’ve had no recent travel history outside of the Philippines and no known contact with anyone who is positive to have the virus. However, due to the nature of my work in the entertainment business, I have interacted with many people.
“I therefore ask anyone who has come in contact me within the last week or two to observe stringent self-quarantine, observe for symptoms and follow the triage procedures published by the DOH, whether asymptomatic or not. Please cooperate with the authorities in their contact tracing efforts. My wife Sandy, daughter Mica & our kasambahay are in self quarantine at home.
“In this time of trial, we ask for your prayers and we continue to praise and thank the Lord for His goodness in our lives.
“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. ( 1Thessalonians 5:18 )
“Stay safe & GOD bless! — Christopher de Leon.”
According to his manager Lolit Solis, De Leon is currently confined at a hospital in Ortigas. She said he got himself tested after experiencing such symptoms as “slight fever, dry cough and difficulty in breathing.”
“Nagtaka ako kasi malinis siya sa katawan and very health buff, maingat sa pagkain,” Solis told PSN Latest Chika. “Kaya mo yan Boyet. Dami daming dumating sa buhay mo pero nag-survive ka.”
Meanwhile, in a text update about his condition shared by family friend, talent manager Noel Ferrer, De Leon said that “all is well… God is good!”
“SANDY texted too – Thank you my friend; going home na. Bo is confined. Not really in pain, sipon lang but he has pain sa right side of his back near the ribs because he slipped sa stairs last night. They will do X ray on him. Had myself tested as well. I’ll know the results in two or three days,” Ferrer also shared.
In a DZMM interview with DOH Assistant Secretary and spokesperson Ma. Rosario Vergeire, De Leon is confirmed to be among the 45 new confirmed cases of the coronavirus, bringing the country’s total to 187 as of Tuesday.
President Duterte on Tuesday placed the entire Luzon under “enhanced community quarantine” to combat the spread of the virus.